Saturday, May 8, 2010

Wanted: GLBT Advocates in the Texas S.B.O.E.

When I read Mr. Levinson’s commentary on Texas’ education system, I found it to be a very effective commentary, for the most part. Mr. Levinson discusses the TAKS test and presents a well-rooted opinion as to what the true nature of school everywhere should be: it should be functioning for the purpose of “teach[ing] students how to apply learned knowledge, and experience to develop opinions and appropriate actions, based on educated and experienced hypotheses.” It should not be about preparation for a test. It should not be swayed by partisanship or political agendas. However, in Texas, as Mr. Levinson points out, our education board is politically reared, and driven. He expresses the need to pay our teachers better, and to create and “overhaul” of the Texas education system. Though I agreed with most of what Mr. Levinson expresses, as a lesbian, I am a little insulted by one sentence of his opinion: “A conservative republican, or liberal democrat, should not be elected based on their stance on gay rights.” This is an easy thing to say, unless you are gay and living in this infantile country.
In my own commentary, I discuss the fact that a homosexual child is 50% more likely to be harassed, beaten, and, for lack of a better word, made an outcast. I would love to see more people in all elected positions who have a positive view of homosexuality and lesbianism, than the usual negative, biblical hatred that is currently spewed out from most of the politicians in this state. It is a question of human rights, safety and understanding. If there were more people on our state board of education who were gay advocates, perhaps they could make changes in schools pertaining to how our gay youth is treated.
Just recently, a fifteen year old boy, who was constantly harassed in school for being gay and a cross-dresser, was murdered by a school mate. Is this not something that should also be addressed by people on the board of education? Perhaps, parents and teachers should address these issues as well. I believe it should be addressed by everyone, but I am one of those outcasts. My opinion tends to differ from the many. Unfortunately, schools are stewing and brewing in politics: whether we like it or not. Politics is swaddled in ideology, religious dogma, and personal agenda. So are schools. It is the true hidden nature of politics and, let’s face it, schools too. Though I agree that politics may have no place in school, I do not think it is practical to dismiss all politics from the education system. Even children in small circles discuss politics of varying degrees.
This, for me, is where the “gay” issue comes in. This is why I believe a person cannot easily dismiss someone who is pro-gay. It is needed for all those youths who have no voice. A change is just around the corner, I hope. In the meantime, how can we help the GLBT minority of this country be safe? Ho do we help them to thrive? How can we empower them to be fully human in a country that dismisses their (my) humanness by “turning the other cheek” on such real and personal issues? Perhaps, baby steps like having a person on the TSBOE, is a good start for our incremental system.
Mr. Levinson is, in my opinion, correct: education “is not an expense, but an investment.” What are we teaching our children in schools when we allow such “politics,” (such as: a gay classmate should be disciplined by other classmates because they are gay) in our schools? I myself grew up experiencing major bigotry and hatred from classmates, and even employers, because of my sexual orientation: as if what I did in the bedroom has anything to do with my intellect or work ethics. We do need to rethink our education system. However, let us not toss out those things that are most innate and deserve our attention just because they seem too controversial to solve. One should not devalue and erase things of such levity, which seep into all aspects of life for many, just because it does not affect them personally. It affects [your] fellow human beings. That is more than enough of a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment